Teeth whitening is one of the most requested services offered by our Aurora, Colorado, office and one of the most cost-effective ways to improve your smile. In a recent survey conducted by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, respondents were asked, "What types of things do you consider make a smile unattractive?" The most common response was discolored, yellow, or stained teeth. Our Stonebrook Family Dental whitening team offers you a variety of whitening options to meet your smile goals.
Did you know that your oral hygiene, medications or nutritional habits could be affecting the whiteness of your teeth? A consultation with one of our trained teeth whitening experts can help you obtain your whitest smile to date in as little as one visit.
Teeth Whitening Options
At Stonebrook Family Dental, we offer patients both in-office teeth whitening services and at-home systems that provide whitening power for a slightly longer period of time. Each option offers a unique set of benefits. You can also choose to practice a combination approach of both at-home and in-office whitening treatments. Dr. Varley and his experienced staff will help you evaluate the pros and cons of each treatment during your teeth whitening evaluation.
Preparing Your Teeth for Whitening
Before you can begin whitening treatment, your teeth will be given a prophylactic cleaning to remove plaque or material that has collected on the surface or between your teeth. Following this cleaning, a dental exam will be performed to discover if there is any existing tooth decay, cracks, or gum disease that could cause problems during the teeth whitening procedure. (Bleaches can cause irritations if these conditions are present.) Photos may be taken of your teeth to aid in determining your current tooth shade and your goal shade for optimum whitening results.
Professional in-office teeth whitening is the most popular cosmetic dental procedure in the world today and is used to treat tooth discolorations that result from aging, consumption of certain foods--notably, coffee, tobacco red wine, sodas, and dark-colored vegetables and fruits.
Unlike at-home whitening systems that incorporate low-dose bleaching agents, your in-office whitening will take place under carefully monitored conditions with Dr. Varley to ensure that the amount of bleaching gel you are given is safe, controlled and doesn’t cause you pain. Thicker peroxide gels and the use of desensitizers, such as potassium nitrate and fluoride, work to prevent gum and tooth sensitivity during your teeth whitening procedure.
In-office whitening treatments produce immediate, noticeable results. Depending on which in-office whitening treatment you choose, you can expect to see a 5-10 shade difference in just 20-60 minutes. The following in-office whitening options are offered at Stonebrook Family Dental:
- LED whitening. This technique is used every 6 months at your regular dental exam visit and is considered a maintenance procedure that will whiten your teeth 1-3 shades in just 20 minutes. An LED accelerated light is used to help achieve that whiter smile in no time.
- Boost System by Ultradent. If you want to drastically change your smile in one hour, you can use the Boost System by Ultradent. Boost is a chemically activated power whitening gel that provides brighter, whiter teeth after just 40-60 minutes in the dental chair. The powerful 40% hydrogen peroxide gel is chemically activated, and doesn’t require light to work. Using the unique double-syringe configuration, our whitening team activates the 40% hydrogen peroxide formula just prior to application, and will ensure every dose of Boost is fresh and effective.
At-Home Whitening Kit
If you want to achieve significant teeth whitening results in the comfort of your own home our custom trays and UltraDent™ whitening gel are the perfect solution. The take-home whitening system is the preferred choice for many patients because:
- Custom-made mouthpiece fits perfectly and can be worn day or night
- UltraDent gel secures your mouthpiece to your teeth so you get uniform results
- Potassium nitrate and fluoride strengthens tooth enamel, decreases tooth sensitivity, and prevents dehydration
- At-home teeth whitening is a comfortable and can be used whenever you have free time
Although the time frame can vary with the custom tray method, most people see whiter teeth in 2-6 weeks.
How to Retain Your White Smile
After you achieve your whiter, brighter smile, your efforts to proactively retain it will help your results last longer. Two of the best ways to safeguard your pearly whites are to: 1) practice good dental hygiene habits; and 2) avoid drinks or foods with dark pigments. The best time to begin at-home teeth whitening is soon after your teeth have undergone a deep cleaning so no particles on your teeth interfere with the bleaching process. Avoid consuming food or beverages (excluding water) for a couple of hours after teeth whitening.
Call for a Teeth Whitening Consultation Today!
If you are interested in having a whiter, brighter smile, contact Stonebrook Family Dental today at 303-872-7907. We also offer the custom tray whitening free for life. During your initial visit, we will answer any questions you may have and provide expert recommendations on how you can reach all of your smile goals. Everyone deserves to experience the life-altering benefits of a radiant, healthy smile. Dr. Varley is a family dentist in Aurora, Colorado, with convenient access to the communities of Highlands Ranch, Aurora, Castle Rock and Lone Tree.